Thursday, December 13, 2012

Barking Mad Turkey Trot...a very big thank you!

During the month of November I hosted a Virtual Race, the Barking Mad Turkey Trot 5 Mile Run. It was held to benefit The Cancer Concern Center, a local Center that provides services to Cancer patients in my area. It is a cause very near and dear to my heart, I ran my first Half Marathon as a fundraiser for them as well!
We had 50 racers, from 18 states!! The final tally was $750 raised! I was so happy to be able to help them out, even a little. When Hurricane Sandy came through, they had to cancel a fundraiser that kept them open for 6 months of the year, and they need every penny they can get! Thank you to everyone who participated!
My friend Grace and I ran our race together on Black Friday. Grace has been running for a while now, doing the Couch to 5K, so 5 miles is more than she usually runs. I was so proud of her for finishing the entire 5 miles!
As you can see, it was a little foggy that morning! We stayed in my neighborhood, because many of the main roads are still shut down after the Super Storm.
Many of the racers posted pics after the race, of their watches as proof of time. This one was my favorite!
Gotta love it!

My next Virtual Race is a "Half Marathon". You can run it all at once, or in pieces. You can also walk, bike, scooter, crawl...whatever gets you there! I will be raising money for the Susan G Komen Marathon for the Cure, and I will be running the Rock n Roll USA Half as my official race! The Virtual takes place in February, with the official date being one month before the Half Marathon. You can check out the details in the link on the right, Barking Mad Fundraisers, or go to the Facebook Event Page!


Do you like to run Virtual Races? Why or why not?



3 comments:

  1. Awww shucks. The kids and I were glad to help out :) and we had some fun together . Good luck with your next virtual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on raising so much money for such a wonderful cause!

    ReplyDelete