Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Training for my first half marathon

"I have met my hero, and he is me." - George Sheehan


This all started last Fall when I decided to run a half marathon to raise money for Breast Cancer. It all snowballed from there! I now have two half marathons scheduled, plus a ten miler, plus countless 5Ks and 5 milers that I haven't even thought of yet. Why? Because I can.

Yesterday was Day 1 of my official training. Pretty simple, a 20 minute run. I am trying to keep it at about a 12 minute mile, I want to finish, not die trying to get there. I also did some weight training. I am very very sorry that i did that! My body aches all over today! The almost 2 miles I ran felt amazing though!
Today was Day 2 and it was a 40 minute run. I managed 3.3 miles in those 40 minutes, stopping every 10 minutes to get a drink of water. Okay, I should say *slowing* to a 15 minute mile walk to get my drink. I have never been one to sweat, that is usually my sign to STOP, but I was sweating everywhere today: my arms, head, neck, chest. YUM! The last few minutes were tiring, but I felt empowered when I finished. I traded my IPod for a yoga mat and took a "beginner" class. Now remember, I am in agony from yesterday's weights and now I am attempting yoga. This is not for sissies, let me be the one to tell you. It was agonizing. Roughest hour of my day!
Tomorrow is a 30 minute run, and I am leaving immediately after so my poor body can rest! My first run, the Ocean Drive Marathon in Cape May where I will run the 10 miles, is 82 days away. There is no doubt in my mind now: I can do it. I might even do it well!


No comments:

Post a Comment