Sunday, July 22, 2018

Scream Half Marathon

Yesterday I ran the Scream Half Marathon, which starts in Jonas Ridge NC and ends in Mortimer NC. The hubs wanted to avoid a hotel stay so I dragged my butt up at 3:30 and the hubs drove us to the parking area at the Brown Mountain Beach Resort.



Note to self: stay here next year.

We boarded a bus that would take us to the start. It was about a 30 minute ride and I napped the whole way. At the start, we picked up our bibs and a chip which attached to our sneaker.



I met up with my fellow Speed Demons and we took a group photo before heading to the start line.



I also met a fellow Skirt Sports Ambassador!



We had to walk across the street to get started, and this is also when the rain started. It was a light refreshing drizzle that lasted the first few miles.



The race had a 3 hour time limit. I have not run a 3 hour half all year, so I was more than a little concerned, downhill race or not. The first 2.3 miles were road miles, and during the first mile...



I rescued this guy, and also realized that I was last.



Oopsie.
I don't really mind being last and there was no obnoxious car breathing down my neck or pesky ambulance making me feel like I'm knocking on death's door. Bonus!

Mile one was a 14 minute mile. As far as MCM training goes, that's awesome. As far as Scream goes, oops. The limit is a 13'45. Ugh. The first mile was mostly uphill so I decided to cut myself some slack.
Mile two, though.... 13'10. So much better.



Mile 2.3 brought us to to the "trail" portion. Parts of it were just a gravel road, while other parts had crazy rocks to avoid, little wash outs to step over etc. Nothing too technical, but not a nice, even road either.

Mile 3.... 12'49. That's right, folks. Less than 13. A fluke maybe? Too fast on the downhills? I asked myself all of these questions, but I honestly felt great. My intervals were anywhere from a 2 to 5 minute run, one minute walk, depending on the decline.
Oh, and by mile 4 there were 4 people behind me.
Mile 4.... 12'28.



The next couple of miles had some inclines and this helped me to pass 2 more people.

Mile 5... 12'58 and mile 6.... 13 even.
Serious incline now and mile 7 was 14'15 and I was feeling it a little. The doubts started creeping back in, I'm not gonna lie, but that view...



Starting to go downhill again and mile 8 was 13'10 and mile 9 was 13'29. Some more inclines but I was in a groove...



Mile 10 was 13'35 and the tree cover was a gift and a curse. Because mile 11 said 11'46 and that didn't feel right, and mile 12 was 15'34 and that wasn't right either. I think they were both around 13ish.



At this bridge I passed 2 more with about a mile to go. I was chasing them for miles and it felt amazing. I believe at this point I has passed 7 but I'm not sure. I was counting, but a bunch of late starters were passing me and it threw me off. Mile 13 was 15'24 because I was so over it and I knew my time was going to be under 3 anyway.





2:57:12 according to my watch. I started it a little before the start line so I was always off by a tenth of a mile. I stopped at 13.1 and walked it in a little so my official time is probably over 3. I don't care even a little bit. My average pace was 13'32 and I'm in heaven.



One more bus ride back to the parking area, and our shirt and food.



I was so impressed that there was food left when I got there and we got to sit at tables and eat it. Yum!

At first I thought this would be one and done but I'm already thinking about next year! I want to get one of those yurts though. They have a hot tub.

Today I'm super sore and my thighs and hips are super tight. I did some yoga focusing on my legs and I feel a little better. I might do it again tonight! Stairs are not my friend.

Have you ever done a downhill race?

No comments:

Post a Comment