Saturday, October 6, 2012

Shark Run 5K

Today was the Shark Run 5K in Bay Head, NJ. It is a beautiful course, running along the ocean for about a mile, and through the town of Bay Head which is so beautiful! I had not planned to run this race, since the Half is tomorrow, but Active.com was running a free entry deal, and I cashed in!
It was probably about 60* when I rode my bike into town, being only 1.25 miles away, how could I resist leaving the car at home? I locked up my bike, got my bib and tee, and went to look for my friends. My friend Eileen from JSRC was there, as well as friends from High School, Kristine and Janet, PLUS a friend I met through PTO, Nancy! I love seeing friends at races!
With no chip timing, and no gun, I was worried that the timing would be off, but at the one mile marker, when the volunteer told me my time (somewhere around 10 minutes), I realized it was only off from my watch by about 10 seconds. Woot!
Somewhere around the 1.5 mile marker, we hit the beach...and the wind! I was supposed to be taking it easy, but with a PR in sight, that was *not* happening! It felt so easy, so I kept at it! At around mile 2.5 it was time to turn away from the beach, and this was where the cop stopped us to let traffic go by the last time I raced in Bay Head. I was so nervous, and so thrilled when he let us run past! Hooray! PR here I come!
As we turned the final corner before the parking lot Finish Line, I glanced at my watch and realized I would be hitting 3.1 before the Finish. I stopped my watch at 3.1, with a time of 31:04, my fastest 5K time yet! I crossed at about 31:15 I think, still an amazing time! I was definitely winded, but so excited to have finished so fast!
A quick photo op with my friend Kristine before i rode my bike home:


LOVE running with her! Oh, and by *with her* I mean, finishing a minute or so behind her, she is *fast*. Almost all of my friends finished ahead of me, I am so proud!

And now, my Flat Mama for tomorrow's race:

I am wearing my Jersey Shore Running Club hat, and I am so excited that my Moms Run This Town shirt came today! I will be sporting attire from both of my running clubs tomorrow! A close up of the shirt:


If you son't already belong to MRTT, check it out! There are over 300 chapters nationwide, and abroad! They are such an amazing group of ladies!

Do you belong to a running club?

2 comments:

  1. Great race today...congratulations. I like your running club shirt. At the moment, I do not belong to a club, but may join one in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The shirt is from a national club, and the hat is a local club. I run with them every once in awhile, but most of them are wayyyy faster than me, lol.

      Delete