Wednesday, September 18, 2019

NYRR Virtual Halfway There 13.1 Powered by Strava

I am running the NYRR Virtual Halfway There 13.1 Powered by Strava as part of being a BibRave Pro (ambassador). Check out BobRave.com to find and write race reviews.



I love Virtual Races. I have even hosted my share of them as fundraisers for Cancer Research or for Muscular Dystrophy Research. In 2012, I explained the rules, but let me go over them again real quick. 

Step one is to register (I will post the links below, have no fear!!) This race is free for everyone! You can donate when you register and proceeds support NYRR mission’s to help and inspire people through running and benefit NYRR’s free youth and community programs, including Rising New York Road Runners, NYRR Striders, and more.


Next is to train. Make sure you are ready for the distance! Because I am running the Berlin Marathon on September 29th, I won't have time to do this until October 12th. I will be doing a preview of the first half of the Charlotte Marathon that morning, so the timing is perfect!

Now you have registered, and trained, and you are ready for race day. The great thing about a virtual race is that you can run it at night.....


Or 5:30 in the morning....


Alone or with friends....





And when you are done, you can celebrate!


The NYRR Virtual Halfway There 13.1 Powered by Strava race has a few rules. They are so simple!
1. Register for a FREE Strava account, if you don't already have one. You can do this at the same time that you
2. Register for the FREE race here
3. Join the Facebook group for the event
4. and the NYRR Strava Club and the Challenge Page
5. After your run, make sure that your watch or Strava app says 13.1 before you stop it. (If your Garmin is finicky like mine, maybe 13.2) and edit your Strava activity so it counts as a race. (Seriously, y'all, I did a ten miler some weeks back and when it synced to Strava it said 9.99 miles) and the run must be an actual road run, treadmill runs and manual entries won't count. Make sure you upload that run by October 16th and  your privacy settings are marked to "everyone" in order for it to count.
6. From the NYRR website: If you’re in NYC, show your badge of completion at the TCS New York City Marathon Expo Presented by New Balance from October 31 to November 2 for a surprise gift (limited supplies, first-come, first-served). 
7. Save the Strava badge that you will earn, and share the heck out of it, using #NYRRVirtualRacing

Sounds great, right? I love having goals to work towards! Let me know that you have finished it, so I can send all the kudos! Check back in a few weeks to see the recap of my 13.1 miles, and be on the lookout for another FREE Virtual Race I'll be doing in November!

Who is joining me?


No comments:

Post a Comment