Friday, August 9, 2019

Fiction Friday

I’ve been thinking about starting this weekly post for awhile, and at first I wasn’t sure if it had a place on a fitness blog. I ultimately decided (obviously) to start it up because self care is so important and for me, reading is part of my self care. At least twice a week, I set aside time to just read. On Tuesdays I volunteer at a local used bookstore, which gives me three hours of mostly uninterrupted reading time. On Wednesday’s I hang out at Panera for an hour after I teach yoga, and I eat breakfast and read. Sometimes, especially if the book has caught my attention, I’ll sit at Starbucks after I window shop and read some more.
My plan is to write about what I’ve been reading on Fridays that I don’t have a Flat Mama to share.
This week, I’ll be sharing three books. The two I just read and the one I’m just starting. I have very eclectic taste, and way too many books on my TBR shelves. (To Be Read)


I have two of those bookshelves in my front room. The one you can’t see holds books I’m keeping, like Stephen King novels, Little House series, fitness books, etc 
The left side of the shelf behind me holds classics and the right side, the entire right side, are books I plan to read. Some were bought new, a very few, and the rest came from the used bookstore or from Little Free Libraries. If you’ve never heard of them, google it! You’ll be glad you did!



Earlier this week I finished Sweet Tea and Sympathy, a fluffy and predictable romance that took place in Georgia. It was adorable and I couldn’t put it down. I took it from a Little Free Library on a whim, and read it to get a prompt from the Pop Sugar Reading Challenge checked off. (A title with Sweet in it). There were time that I could not put it down, and I read it fairly quickly. I love books like this, I use them as a palate cleanser after a serious or emotional book. I donated this to the used bookstore I volunteer at once I was done with it. 
From Goodreads:
From beloved romance author Molly Harper (Half-Moon Hollow and The Nice Girls series) comes the first title in her new rom-com women’s fiction series, Southern Eclectic, which features the lives, losses and loves of the McCready family as they manage their family’s generational funeral home and bait shop (you read that correctly) on the shore of picturesque Lake Sackett, Georgia.

Type-A Margot Cary is the leading event planner for the crème de la crème of Chicago high society. No request is too extravagant for her to execute with trademark perfection. That is, until an unfortunate incident involving a shrimp tower, live flamingos, and a shellfish allergy puts her on the black list of the rich and social and out of a job. With the lights about to be shut off in the trendy condo she can no longer afford, and her savings account dwindling, Margot’s situation is near to desperate.

In steps her birth father’s side of the family (who she’s never met), the McCreadys…the McCreadys of the McCready Family Funeral Home and Bait Shop in small town Georgia—and as luck would have it, they’re looking for an event planner and don’t care about her reputation among the A-list crowd. As Margot tackles small town life—where everyone knows everything about everyone—and builds a relationship with a father who she’d never known, she discovers the comforts that community, a rather large extended family, and a rugged, unpretentious country man can offer...





I moved on to A Study in Charlotte, a book that features the great great great grandkids of Sherlock Holmes and Watson. It was a quick read, more of a YA book, but only because it was  so good! I love a good mystery, especially one that I cannot figure out. This book keeps you guessing and the relationship between the teenaged Holmes and Watson keeps you guessing as well. I donated this book after I read it, to a local Hospital.
From Goodreads:
The last thing Jamie Watson wants is a rugby scholarship to Sherringford, a Connecticut prep school just an hour away from his estranged father. But that’s not the only complication: Sherringford is also home to Charlotte Holmes, the famous detective’s great-great-great-granddaughter, who has inherited not only Sherlock’s genius but also his volatile temperament. From everything Jamie has heard about Charlotte, it seems safer to admire her from afar.
From the moment they meet, there’s a tense energy between them, and they seem more destined to be rivals than anything else. But when a Sherringford student dies under suspicious circumstances, ripped straight from the most terrifying of the Sherlock Holmes stories, Jamie can no longer afford to keep his distance. Jamie and Charlotte are being framed for murder, and only Charlotte can clear their names. But danger is mounting and nowhere is safe—and the only people they can trust are each other.


I’ve just started this book so I haven’t got much to say yet, although it started off with a bang, which is always a good way to start. A bunch of my Litsy pals have it in their stacks, I gotta it at a Little Free Library. I’ll be traveling with this, so I’m guessing it will end up being left out in the airport for someone else to enjoy. Airports should really have a spot for donated books! Wouldn’t that be amazing!
From Goodreads:
When a bookshop patron commits suicide, his favorite store clerk must unravel the puzzle he left behind. Lydia Smith lives her life hiding in plain sight. A clerk at the Bright Ideas bookstore, she keeps a meticulously crafted existence among her beloved books, eccentric colleagues, and the BookFrogs—the lost and lonely regulars who spend every day marauding the store’s overwhelmed shelves.

But when Joey Molina, a young, beguiling BookFrog, kills himself in the bookstore’s upper room, Lydia’s life comes unglued. Always Joey’s favorite bookseller, Lydia has been bequeathed his meager worldly possessions. Trinkets and books; the detritus of a lonely, uncared for man. But when Lydia flips through his books she finds them defaced in ways both disturbing and inexplicable. They reveal the psyche of a young man on the verge of an emotional reckoning. And they seem to contain a hidden message. What did Joey know? And what does it have to do with Lydia?

As Lydia untangles the mystery of Joey’s suicide, she unearths a long buried memory from her own violent childhood. Details from that one bloody night begin to circle back. Her distant father returns to the fold, along with an obsessive local cop, and the Hammerman, a murderer who came into Lydia’s life long ago and, as she soon discovers, never completely left

I am already on page 83, and I only out it down because I had errands to run! 

What book do you recommend? I will add it to my TBR list!
Are you on Litsy? I am Barkingmadrun on the app, I use it almost every day and I am addicted to the fun swaps!

No comments:

Post a Comment