Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Mount Dora Half Marathon Recap

I received entry into the Mount Dora Half Marathon as part of being a BibRave Pro. (Ambassador) Check out BibRave.com to find and write race reviews.



Race morning was super foggy! I arrived bright and early, just before 6 am, since I wasn't familiar with the area and did not know how close I would be able to park. It turns out that I picked the perfect time because I parked 2 blocks away from the start. Score!



I hit up the porta potty right away, since there was no line, and then walked laps around until it was almost time to start. I wanted my foot warmed up, since my PF feels worse when I first start out.



I met up with Shannon, from Girl's Got Sole, just before we started. We are fellow BibRave and Skirt Sports Ambassadors, and it turns out we had similar goals.



We decided to stick together for as long as I could keep up with her. I told her not to wait for me when that time came, since I figured that I would walk it in at some point.
We started by running uphill, and then turned to run down this beautiful street...



Soon we were in the neighborhoods and the locals were so fun!



Shannon runs a 30:30 so I tried it out and I did pretty well. I decided to keep it up as long a possible, but had my watch set to my intervals just in case.



The scenery was really amazing, and we had a great time. Every once in a while, a car would sneak onto the closed course!



Not funny, people!
My favorite part was running along this amazing waterfront.





The view was spectacular. I definitely started slowing down around mile 10, and soon Shannon had pulled ahead. I could see her for awhile, but by mile 11.5 or so, she was too far ahead. She was kicking butt!



I had originally hoped to beat last week's time at Kiawah, and then realized my best time all year (with the exception of Scream, which was all downhill) was at Revel Rockies in June. Hmmmm a new goal?



I managed to beat both times, making Mount Dora my 2nd fastest half of 2018, and my 62nd half marathon finish. I also managed to run intervals the whole time. No walking it in. Progress!



Shannon had waited for me, and we took some finisher photos before she went for a massage and I went to change clothes and get lunch.



Overall this was a great race. Their communication with the half marathoners was good, and their packet pickup was smooth. The water stops were well spaced and well manned, and they even had gels around the halfway point. With the exception of some cars near the end, the course was closed and I felt safe.

The bling was adorable and it spinned. The shirt is comfy, I just wish it had a holiday theme like the medal did. Those who finished 5 years in a row get a jacket!

Oh.
And free pics...







I usually have the worst luck with free pics, but these are amazing!

Have you ever gotten good free pics at a race?

No comments:

Post a Comment