Thursday, July 18, 2013

Who do you run for? Be a Kind Runner!

I couldn't resist pairing my two favorite things right now!
Anyone who follows my Instagram or my Twitter account has probably seen that #iRun4Bryce but I don't know if everyone knows what that means! An amazing man named Tim Boyle started an upliftng group called I Run 4 Michael, to go along with his website Who I Run 4.
From the website:

God gave me the gift of mobility. Others aren't as fortunate so I Run for Michael, who do YOU run for?

This is a community forum for inspiration from those who have special needs and for you to inspire others with YOUR story and who YOU run for!


Description

A couple of weeks ago I posted a picture for inspiration for my first official 5K run and one of my facebook friends commented on it. His comment was simple yet profound. He said "you can run for me anytime!"

You see my friend was diagnosed with bilateral hip dyspasia. He was told he would never walk again. He found a doctor who was willing to perform a risky and experimental surgery over a period of two years. He spent a year in a body cast and underwent 17 months of gruelling physical therapy five days a week. He DID walk again. The miraculous results were expected to last two to three years. He recovered enough and so strongly he competed in the Olympics... The Special Olympics. You see, my friend Michael Wasserman has Down Syndrome. This "Old Champ" (as his mother, Mary, calls him) stretched out this miracle 24 years and 24 days. He is now in a wheelchair and can no longer run. But that's not the end of the story... he has been inspiring me for several months with his artwork which he sells in facebook auctions and donates 100% of the proceeds to charity. Last year alone he raised $2500! So I RUN FOR MICHAEL!




If you are a runner, or the parent of a Special Needs child, then check out this site! You can register your child, or to run for a child. You will not regret it, it is easily the most rewarding thing I have ever done, and my kids learn from it as well! Now whenever I run, I run for Bryce, my little boy that was assigned to me by the program! He gets to see the pics that I post every day, and he knows that even though he can't run, someone out there is running for him!

I have also mentioned kindrunner before! They are an amazing new company that is changing the way you buy your shoes! When you buy your new pair, they send you a  return address label so that you can send an old pair back to them! They take that pair and donate it to someone who doesn't have shoes of their own!
I even re-used the box from my Mizunos

so I could recycle my Brooks

I love my Mizunos!
Once kindrunner received my used shoes, I got an email telling me that I had a $10 credit to their store! Woot!
The best part about it?  Anyone who registers on our site before Friday at 7pm will receive $10 in Kindness Cash Rewards credit!  That's right, just register at Kindrunner.com, and you'll have a $10 credit you can use towards ANY purchase.

How awesome is this? You *have* to check out their store, it isn't just a show store, they have lots of other things for runners as well! It really is a win win situation!

When will you check out kindrunner.com?

No comments:

Post a Comment