Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Facing My Fears 2018 August Edition



Way back in January, I decided that I was going to do something every month that scared me. Some of them are truly terrifying to me and some of them are things that intimidate me.

Zip lining started off terrifying and ended up being exhilarating. Aerial yoga was a little scary, a lot of fun, but really hard on my healing foot so I only went once.





I've done some scary things that weren't on the list as well, like traveling to Asheville NC to spend the week with 20 strangers at the Slow AF Trail Retreat with Mirna Valerio. And met some of the most amazing women ever, who I know will be lifelong friends.



I tried exercise classes that intimadated me, like Pure Barre and Spin.





When I was first making the list and not really sure how to fill all 11 months left in the year, a friend suggested the Mile High Bridge at Grandfather Mountain.



While I'm not exactly afraid of heights, I do have a healthy fear of falling from them, if that makes any sense, and this bridge definitely made me equal parts nervous and excited.



I dragged the hubs along with me and called it a date day, and we drove the 2+ hours through the Blue Ridge Parkway to get there. So.gorgeous.



The temp actually dropped 20 degrees as we drove up the mountain!



The hubs informed me that he would not be going across the bridge, as he is hugely afraid of heights, but as we approached he decided to give it a try.



As we stood there, counting the number of people on the bridge, (maximum of 40 at a time, people!) We could hear the bridge twanging and creaking. It was a little disconcerting, I'm not gonna lie.



The mile high section is about 2/3 of the way across. The view was amazing, but that twang!



The only twang I wanna hear is in a country song, thank you very much!



Of course, once we made it across, we had to wander about for a little while...



And then go back.... you know, across the terrifying bridge...





I had a pit in my stomach the whole time, but it was so worth it! The hubs even had a good time, and was a good sport about getting a jump shot pic afterwards.



3rd try was the charm!
I'm still in shock that he went across with me, my fear facing abilities must be rubbing off on him!
Next month I participate in my first triathlon. I'm not super fond of swimming, so once I get that out of the way, the bicycling and running will be a breeze!

Have you ever faced a fear?

No comments:

Post a Comment