Thursday, August 16, 2018

Being Kind to Yourself, Marathon Training Edition



Last weekend was my longest run to date for this marathon training plan. My running club was taking a field trip and we had 3 routes to do. One was a 5k, one was 5 miles, and one was 8 miles. My plan was to attempt 16, but settle for 14 if I wasn't feeling it.



Warm up lap done, and on to the first 5 miles. I had a group of 3, and we were running a roughly 16 minute mile. Once we reached the meet up point for each loop, one went home, one went to run 2 on his own, and the other came with me for the 5k loop.



This was a trail loop, we got lost, but I somehow made it into a 3 mile run, so we had 8 total. She was done and I was on my own. I decided to do an out and back for 4 more miles and then I would figure out my next move from there.



I don't know what happened, but by the 11th mile I was just done. I walked the 12th mile and then sat in my car and cried.



I wasn't seeing that I had completed 12 miles. All I saw was that I didn't do 14. I beat myself up the whole way home.

How am I going to do MCM if I cannot even do 14 miles?
What haven't I been training harder?
I don't do enough cross training.
Everyone else did 16, why didn't I do my 14?



Ugh.
I drove home and went to record my run in my journal.



See those pink numbers? That's my charity training plan mileage. The 16 is what my running club plans for the fasties who run 50 miles a week.

Yup.

I beat myself up. I cried. For nothing. I actually did exactly what I was supposed to do.

Even so, what if I was just having an off day? It happens all the time. Did beating myself up change anything? Nope.

We need to be kinder to ourselves, y'all. Life is too short to cry over a bad run!

Have you ever beat yourself up over a bad workout?

No comments:

Post a Comment