Sunday, June 17, 2018

Trifecta Part 3: Moonlight Bootlegger 5k

First, I want to wish all of the Dads out there a Happy Father's Day! Especially this guy, who ran the race last night in Vans and cargo shorts and beat me by 8 minutes!



This was my second year doing the Bootlegger, a fun 5k on the trails of the Anne Springs Close Greenway in Fort Mill, SC. Instead of bling, you get Mason Jars and there is Moonshine at the finish. Seriously.
The course is lit by battery powered tea lights and instead of mile markers there are speakers playing Bluegrass Music.

My friend Susana came by around 7:40 and we all drove to the race together. Bib pick up was fairly quick and we got our wrist bands and race shirts. Last year was comfy cotton but this year was tech. Booooooo.



I found a lot of my friends, but not all, and picture taking ensued.









So.many.pictures.
After explaining the route, the race began just before 9. I planned on doing my usual intervals, and had looked up my results from last year. My initial goal was to beat last year's time, and hopefully run 15 minute miles. I didn't realize how tired my legs were until I hit the first hill.
Oh.my.heck.

I managed to finish the first mile around 15 minutes but the second mile was a train wreck.



Just after I took that pic I tripped on a tree root. My feet got jarred and they hurt for the next mile. Ugh.

Mile 2 took around 17 minutes. Ugh. This was not going well. Time to start doing math in my head! I was figuring out how badly Mile 3 could go and still PR, I'm not gonna lie. Mile 3 was much easier than mile 2 though, and I totally banged it out in 16 minutes. Wow, the first 2/3 of the trifecta really killed me!

I ended up finishing in just over 50 minutes, 5 minutes faster than last year, and my fastest 5k trail race ever!







The moonshine wasn't as strong this year, but the coconut one was really good. I had a headache so I mostly drank water. They also had lots of salty and sweet snacky foods but I wasn't interested. I'm pretty sure I was dehydrated.
Several of my friends ended up with age group wins! I was surrounded by excellence! Congrats to Joe and Cherrie for AG wins and Lissa and Sandra for 2nd place AG wins!

No comments:

Post a Comment