Saturday, April 13, 2013

Yuengling Lager Jogger 5K in Pottsville PA

Yesterday I started my trek to Mystic Mountain, PA to hang with my parents and run the Yuengling 5K. The race was taking place in Pottsville, PA where Yuengling got it's start, and I drive past it every time I visit. I knew that it would be a hilly race, and I was ready for the challenge.
It was a rainy start on Friday, and very windy, so I had to drive pretty slow. It is about a 3.5 hour drive, and the scenery is amazing! Not so much yesterday, though:
Route 78, Delaware Water gap
Route 42, approaching Mystic Mountain

Luckily, once I hit the Water Gap, the rain stopped! I stopped in Pottsville to pick up my packet, and was thrilled to see I was getting a beer glass (I don't drink beer, but it holds iced tea just as well, I bet!)


The bar was in an old building, it was so beautiful, I wish I had taken pics! On my drive to Pottsville, I realized that I packed so last minute (laziness, pure and simple) that I forgot my ear buds and iPhone armband! Thank goodness for Walmart!

At my parent's house, I made my Flat Mama and prepped for the race:
I got up at 6:15 and was out the door by 6:30.




It is about a 45 minute drive, and I worried about the parking. I shouldn't have, they had Crew everywhere, and plenty of places to park! I was going to ditch my sweatshirt in the car, but it was only 37* so I kept it on. As I walked through I searched out a couple who looked like they might hang out and drink afterwards, and gave them by beer tickets. They were so happy, which made me happy!
I checked out all of the tents they had set up, and eyeballed the cool necklaces they had made from Yuengling caps. I made a mental note to check them out on the way back!
The race started promptly at 8, after the anthem and a speech by Dick Yuengling himself. I had heard at  packet pickup that the first mile was all uphill, and buy was that guy right! OMG I thought I was going to die! It was just shy of one mile long!
After the first hill, it leveled out, and then we got to go downhill, a nice gentle slope. Hooray! But wait, don't get too excited! Around the corner and up hill number 2. I "ran" up and gladly turned the corner to the mile 2 marker. Nice level ground for a while and then hill #3.
Oh
My
Heck
I walked that last hill, it was brutal! It leveled out again and when we turned left it was such a steep slope down I almost had to pinwheel my arms! Holy crap! After we turned that last corner, I could see the finish!
Going into this race, I knew there would be no PR. Those hills ate nothing like what we have at the Jersey Shore. My goal was to beat my time from a race I ran nearby in October 2011, at Knoebel's Amusement Park. My time at Knoebel's was just under 40 minutes. My time today?
35:08
Yeah baby!


Isn't the necklace adorable? I almost hit the floor when he told me it was only $5. SOLD!
I came back to my parent's house to check my stats and was pleasantly surprised to see how well I did!
1015/2149 overall
450/1212 females
79/247 age group
WOW! That might be my best yet! And these people live here and train on these hills! Woot!
It wouldn't be a trip to the mountains without a ride on my dad's newest toy. He took me 4 wheeling in this thing. I am not too proud to admit I screamed like a girl a few times!

Now we are off to have lunch! I am exhausted and it is only Saturday afternoon!

 Have you ever 4 wheeled in a Polaris?

5 comments:

  1. Hi. Great job on the hills!Just wondering...you mentioned running at Knoebels in PA. I found a half marathon about 10 minutes away from the park in August, and I'm looking to make it a little runcation. How was it over there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way!!! I didn't know there was a Half there! My parents live nearby, we have been going to Knoebel's since I was 11 years old! It is very pretty there, very hilly. The area is all trees and mountains, not many hotels, although the park has camping and cabin rentals. You have to book them way in advance. We really like the park, it has free parking and free admission, and everyone is so nice!

      Delete
  2. That sounds good. The racr is called the Hellbender half and it is run completely in Weiser State Park. Have you ever been to Penn's Cavern? I trying to see what else we could visit in the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I don't remember it well. We went was a teenager. There is also one called Crystal Cave, but it is probably over an hour away. I will ask my Mom is she can suggest anything, they live close to Elysburg. Knoebel's will be great for a whole day, but I am not sure what else is over there. If you are a GIANTS fan, Hynoski comes from Elysburg <3

      Delete
  3. Thanks.This looks like it could be a lot of fun for everyone.

    ReplyDelete