Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Half Marathon Recovery with CEP Compression Tall Socks 3.0

I received CEP Compression Tall Socks 3.0 as part of being a BibRave Pro (ambassador). Check out BibRave.com to find and write race reviews. 


Race recovery is hugely important after any long distance race! What you do for your body after a race can determine how you feel the next day, or even for days afterwards. Heck, months afterward in the case of preventable injuries. Most runners have their own routine, and mine starts before the race even happens. 


Whether I am traveling for a race, or driving to it on race morning, I always put together a recovery outfit for after the race. It might consist of yoga pants, or my all time fave: oversized, cotton, men's pajama pants. I also pack a comfy sports bra (my current fave is by Handful), a tee in case the race shirt isn't comfy, Oofos, and compression socks. Let's be honest, a change of clothes after a race is life changing. Getting rid of that delightful post race stink is life altering, and being able to strip off every stitch of race clothing goes a long way towards repairing that fragile state of mind after you have finished a race! I have changed my clothes in the backseat of my car more times than I can count.



Back to my routine. Post race, the first thing I do is hunt up the food. Being hungry is no good, so replenishing everything you just used up is very important. Give me all the food and chocolate milk. Pronto. Once I've got that covered, I start stretching. My favorite stretch? Pigeon pose!


After I have done all of my stretches I go to my car and change my clothes. I have a towel that clips around my chest and I pretty much work my magic underneath it. It's a game change, for sure. Once I have changed my clothes, I sometimes head back to the finish to watch any of my friends who haven't beat me to the end. This honestly happened mostly when I have run a half that also has a full. I.am.slow. Once I have cheered my little heart out it is time to head home.


If I have a long drive, I will stop every couple of hours and walk around a bit. If I am close to home, I take a lap around the living room every hour or so. This is really helpful the next day, as it really helps with that soreness factor. You know, lactic acid buildup, blah blah blah.


So, why are compression socks so important?
 Wearing compression socks after a race increase blood flow and reduce swelling. After my half on Sunday my legs felt amazing! I wore my socks post race and for the whole drive home, until it was bath time.



The Tall Socks 3.0 have amazing padding on the soles, which was super helpful with my Plantar Fasciitis. They have high tech yarns, a more natural fitting toe box, and they help you recover faster while they reduce swelling and muscle strain. They also feature proprioceptive ankle and arch stabilization, so important when walking around on tired legs. 
Mine are blue, but they come in a variety of colors. 
CEP is so sure about their products that they offer a six month guarantee and 30 day returns, no questions asked. How could you not love that?!?
I have been obsessed with CEP since I met up with them last November at TRE. I even bought their PF foot sleeve. They make a lot of amazing products so be sure to surf their site!

What is your favorite recovery trick?

4 comments:

  1. These are great tips Kim. Especially the getting up and walking around after the race. I'm not so good about that but it's something I really need to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a specific recovery outfit post-race is a great idea! I love your color of CEP compression socks as well. Such an outstanding blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It is so much easier to have that outfit ready to go, with all of my favorite things!!

      Delete