Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Marine Corps Marathon Training with Amphipod

I received an Amphipod Pure Run Mininalist Hydration Vest as part of being a BibRave Pro (ambassador). Check out BibRave.com to read and write race reviews.

It is almost time to start training for MCM. I have been building my base and tweaking my training plan. This isn't the only thing to worry about when you are training for a marathon. So many other things come into play.

What will I wear?



What will I use as nutrition? What music will I play on my playlist? What will I drink?
Where will I put it all?



Once these decisions are made, you have to test everything out. You don't want to find out at mile 10 that your hydration pack is rubbing you in all the wrong places.
My current hydration belt is 2 years old. I bought it during training for the NYC Marathon, and it served me well. It's starting to fall apart, though. Hundreds of miles of running will do that to you!
I knew that I wanted to upgrade to a vest, so when I was given the chance to test out the Amphipod I was so thrilled. Surely this was karma!



And so began the testing phase. I started out with shorter runs, so that if adjustments needed to be made, I wasn't wearing it for long before I could fix what needed fixing. It really only took one run to find the perfect length of the straps that clip across the front.



One more run and I knew which pocket to use for my phone, for easy access since we all know I love taking pics!



Then came the 10k test. I was running with my pace group and found that I could hold everyone's keys and not worry about poking a hole in my shorts pockets anymore.



Disney was the ultimate test. I wore my Amphipod to all 3 races. It carried my nutrition, my ID and emergency cash, the 2 water bottles are large enough that I didn't need refilling until mile 10, even in the crazy heat. Oh, and no chafing, no rubbing, no readjusting. It is so lightweight that you forget it's even there!



So let's talk about the features on this super comfy vest!
There are two 12 ounce bottles that fit securely in their pockets. The pockets cinch closed which is great for trail running. I just wrap the cord loop under each bottle so it doesn't annoy me.
The majority of the vest is mesh and very cooling! No extra sweat where the vest sits.
So.many.pockets. I haven't even used them all! I use the two in the front for my phone and my nutrition. My keys go in the pocket in the back, at the bottom. There is room for a bladder, and there is even a clip in the front for the tube. I don't have a bladder yet, but when my earbud cord annoyed me when I stored my phone in the front, I used the pocket behind the bladder bungees for my phone. Everybody wins.
The vest comes in 2 sizes to ensure a perfect fit!

I'm looking forward to using it this weekend when we go to Crowder's Mountain for a hike. It's our 23rd anniversary and nothing says love like dragging your poor hubs on a hike.... Right? Of course there will be tons of pics, so stalk my Instagram if you want to see!



Oh, and it fits so well, even a Tie Fighter can wear one!

Check out the website today, and stalk all of their amazing products. You're sure to find one to suit your needs!

1 comment:

  1. As a Marine College professor, I found this post very useful for Marine students, keep posting info like this. Kindly let me know how to subscribe for this blog because i need regular marine updates like this from you. Keep touch with my websites maritime institute in tamilnadu | maritime training institutes in tamilnadu

    ReplyDelete