Monday, September 18, 2017

Planning Races During Marathon Training

I've been thinking about this for awhile and finally decided to write about it. I have struggled with this ever since I started running.
Why?
I'm a sucker for a race. If a friend contacts me and the medal is cool or the shirt is pretty, or even for no reason at all, I will sign up.
Seems like no big deal, right?
More than once, I have scheduled a half marathon on a weekend when I am supposed to be running 16, 18, or 20 miles.
No problem, just run the extra miles before or after, right? For some reason, I've never been able to do that!



When I decided to run NYC, I realized I'd have to take my training more seriously so I developed a system. I'm a planner, so I printed out my training plan and wrote the entire thing in my planner.



When a race comes up, I check my planner for that week and check my mileage. If it's close enough, I'll register. If I can safely swap weeks, I'll still register.



It can be so tempting to plan a race that's fun, like Hot Chocolate or a Mud Run, but I have to be so careful, especially now that I'm going to be training for my first ultra!



I have way more 20+ mile runs with this race, so I'll have to be extra careful not to plan an ill timed race. You have no idea how hard this will be for me!



Do you struggle with planning too many races?

4 comments:

  1. yES!!!! I love to race but the longest I train for is a half so it works. I'd be faster if I trained properly but it's a give and take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg yes, I definitely don't train for speed either. when I coach, I am coaching the walkers just starting to run so I only run at my own pace once a week. I wouldn't trade it for anything though!

      Delete
  2. Hahaha, I'm the same way. I'm SUCH a sucker for a medal it's ridiculous. And I think I've only once run the extra mileage I needed before a race (5 miles before a half marathon)...other than that, I never seem to be able to make it work, lol.

    ReplyDelete