Saturday, April 11, 2015

April Fools 11k, Part 1 of the Jester Challenge #REALwomenmove

We arrived in Atlantic City last night for the April Fools Jester Challenge weekend. Today was the 7 or 11k and tomorrow is the Half. 

We picked up our packets and then hit Cuba Libre at the Tropicana for dinner.
The food was amazing!

I had Arroz con Pollo. So delicious! After some more walking, we went back to the hotel to relax for the night.

I love the bib but I am not thrilled about the shirts. They are basically the same for both races, the only difference is the distance printed on the back. Luckily, I like green!
We got up pretty early this morning, like always. We are only two blocks from the start, which was at 9, so we laid around a lot and got ready pretty slowly.
Once we got to the start, we hooked with all of the different groups of BGR, and did some warm ups together. What a fun group of ladies!

We lined up for the race and after a beautiful rendition of the National Anthem, we were off. I wasn't trying for any special goals. With my PF, there isn't much point. I did want to finish with a decent average pace, under 13 minutes would have been nice, but with a half marathon tomorrow I didn't want to push it.
It got hot pretty fast, and I was wearing black, and they had only two water stops, with almost 4 miles between them. Ugh. It was a nice out and back, though, all on Boardwalk, so I can't complain too much.
My first three miles I averaged an 11:30 but I lost steam and slowed for the final 4+ miles. 
My final one was 1:23 with a 12:09 average, far better than I hoped. My foot aches a bit now, hoping tomorrow isn't a train wreck.


We walked around a bit and took some fun pics with the mascots that were walking around for the kid races.


My running buddy under my shirt makes me look a little pregnant! Not a fan of the pic for that reason only.
We are getting ready for dinner at Carmine's now. It isn't a race in AC without it!
Did you run today? Is it warm where you are? 

4 comments:

  1. great pics Kim and it looked like a lot of fun! yes it is hot and humid here is Florida!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so fun! I cannot imagine running in the heat yet, although it's coming soon!

      Delete
  2. Loved reading this one, Kim! I didn't do the challenge this year but I was wondering how the 7k/11k went. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xoxo sooo glad I saw you during the half, though!

      Delete