Sunday, December 22, 2013

Final Long Run for Dopey!


Dopey is right around the corner! Today's scheduled run was 26 miles but since the longest we have done is 15 we decided to shoot for 20. The weather here at the Jersey Shore has been crazy lately and today was no different! 60' and humid when we started out! Crazy! 
Colleen and I decided to go to the Manasquan Resevoir for our run. It is a somewhat hilly trail loop that is 5 miles around. We parked near the entrance to to the trail so that we could stop for fuel or water every 5 miles. 
The weather was perfect but the sky looked ominous. The rain was due at 2:00 though, so we didn't worry about it. The trail was full of walkers, runners, and riders and everyone was super friendly! We were having an amazing run!

Hmmmm this is not a good sign! We stopped for fuel and water at 5 miles and the sky was looking worse! We knew that our time was growing short! We hit the trail again for our second lap!
At mile 6.1 or so, the rain started. And by rain, I mean full on downpour! We decided to turn back instead of finishing the lap. One wet mile was more than enough!

 Ugh! Luckily, Colleen's mom lives in a Senior Community with a gym so we headed over to finish our miles. I was dreading it already, treadmills and I do not get along! 

Yikes! Check the date, Mother Nature, it is Winter! 
As suspected, the TM was pure hell. Iworry  about shin splints so I walked a lot of it. While Colleen banged out the rest of her 20, I walked. A lot.
Twelve done so far, when I stopped to get a boulder out of my shoe. I was sure it was enormous, and I was correct!

Look at that monster! I banged out two more for a total of 14 and then quit. I have had a cold for weeks, and when the headache started I knew it was time to call it a day! I am actually writing this up while Colleen finishes. I am a multi tasker!

I hope you all have a very merry Christmas! I will probably post tomorrow with pictures from our all day bake-a-thon but no promises!!

Colleen is my hero!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment