Monday, January 13, 2020

Training Update, Osteoarthritis Edition

Sigh.
Shortly after my horrible trail race on New Year’s Day I started experiencing a new pain in my knee. Not the are where I tore my meniscus, but on the other side, towards the front. I was so frustrated, having just kind of sort of run for the first time since Thanksgiving and somehow managing a course PR. I made my doctor's appointment and on Friday morning he told me that I had arthritis in my knee. Wonderful. Two weeks off from running, but I can ride my bike.
He also gave me a wonderful hand out that says arthritis is caused by any number of things:
Wear and tear from regular use (hello, running!)
Injury to the knee (torn meniscus)
Being overweight (oooops)
Misalignment of the knee joint (my PT once told me that my knees are a little double jointed)
Hmmmmm basically I’m the perfect storm for an arthritic knee. Wonderful.
Oh, and trail running? That irritates it. Even better.
So I went home.
Had a pity party. For days.
And then brushed off and started making plans. Also. Un-making plans.
I cancelled races that I knew I couldn’t train for, and downgraded races that had shorter distances. I also stopped sitting on my butt, and got out there and did what I could.



Monday i did 45 minutes on the stationary bicycle, plus a 10 minute walk and 10 minutes of yoga.


Tuesday I walked a mile and did 20 minutes of PT. I also signed up for a two mile race that takes place during a 4 miler, I am planning to run a mile and walk a mile.

Wednesday I taught yoga and did 2 planks, one minute each. They about killed me.


Thursday I did an Aaptiv upper body workout, 13 minutes of yoga, stretching my upper body, 28 minutes on the bike (coaching) and two planks. 





Friday I taught yoga and did 2 planks.





Saturday, the new season at Run For Your Life started. The 5k program began on Tuesday. Anyway, on Saturday, we held the 3 mile time trial to find out what pace group each new runner belonged in. I rode towards the back of the pack with my current runners and some of the new runners. I rode about 3.5 miles and it was a lot of fun. 



Sunday, we walked the pups for 1.5 miles and saw this bird. When it flew, it was the most brilliant blue. Super cool and we watched for a few minutes, I’m not gonna lie. I’m easily amused. Not a bad week, considering my knee still aches a bit. I’m totally stalling, but at some point today I’m doing a total body workout on the Aaptiv app. 

What was your favorite workout this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment