Friday, January 10, 2020

Fiction Friday


Ten days into 2020, and I have been reading like a crazy person. TV? What TV? Show me the books! I started off with Twisted Twenty Six, by Janet Evanovich. 


Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum)

I love this series, they are always laugh out loud funny, and this one focused on Grandma Mazur, which was a hoot. Stephanie is also getting better at her job, which is fun to "watch". I am still Team Ranger, but I wish she would make up her mind either way!
Sidebar here, to focus on the challenges I signed up for, which I talked about in my last Fiction Friday, here.
This book filled the following prompts:
Book Bingo: My Choice
Pop Sugar: 20 in the title
Wizarding World: series of 6+ books
A to Z: "E"
52 in 52: W in the title
USA: New Jersey

Image result for Wonder

Next I read Wonder. I wanted to focus on Booked 2020 as much as possible, and this filled one of the prompts. Y'all. Every middle school kid needs to read this book. Maybe even 5th grade. This book broke my heart. I loved the different perspectives, they really showed how life is, and the different ways people see the same situation. 
Challenge Prompts:
BINGO: Movie adaptation
Popsugar: same title as a movie, but unrelated (there are multiple movies called Wonder)
Color Code: Blue
Wizarding World: Blue Cover
Mount TBR: book 1
A to Z: "P"
52 in 52: leaves you thinking
USA: New York
Booked2020: Finish in a Day
I was going to use it for the prompt about wearing a hat, but I finished it so fast, and my daughter gave me another book that fit that prompt, so....




Next up was the second book in the Hannah Swensen series. I am addicted to this series. My daughter turned me on to them, and now I keep ordering them! Pretty soon I will be able to get them from the library, but they don't have the earlier books.  Anyway, the mystery was good and I didn't figure it out until just before she did, which was fun. I am totally Team Mike. 
Challenge prompts:
BINGO: About food
Pop Sugar: Pink cover
Wizarding World: Set at Christmas
A to Z: "F"
Mrs Darcy: Recommendation 
52 in 52: Recipes inside
USA: Minnesota



I chose this book because I needed one set in Hollywood for Booked2020. There were some slow parts, but overall a really good book. It was about Hollywood in the 30s, and it's based on true facts, so some parts were hard to read. Clark Gable was a bit of a jerk, I'm not gonna lie. 
Challenge Prompts:
BINGO: Artist as the protagonist (because actors are artists, and also, one of the main characters was a legit artist)
Pop Sugar: More than 20 letters in the title
Wizarding World: Gold on the cover
A to Z: "A"
Europe: Italy (a portion of the book was in Italy)
52 in 52: Title begins with A
USA: California
Booked2020: Set in Hollywood




This book was given to me by my daughter when she was here for Christmas. She knew it would fit my WOC prompts, but look! She is wearing a hat! I adored this book. I plan to borrow the rest of her Jasmine Guillory's books from the library. Very quirky, and the main characters were over 50. LOVE!! This was also a quick read.
Challenge Prompts:
BINGO: written by a WOC
Pop Sugar: Written by a WOC
Color Code: Green
Wizarding World: Green Cover
A to Z: "G"
Europe: United Kingdom
52 in 52: Features Royalty (the Queen, plus a Duke and Duchess)
Booked2020: Hat on Cover






Next up is another Hannah Swensen book. I am loving how close the sisters are getting and I am still Team Mike. I wonder if that will change? I guessed the murderer about 3/4 of the way through, second guessed myself, and then changed my mind back. So much fun!
Challenge Prompts:
BINGO: Author is from my country
Wizarding World: Law is broken (you know, murder)
Mrs Darcy: book 1 out of 3 with the same author
52 in 52: in a series

I didn't count this as book 2 with the same author since I used Strawberry Shortcake Murder for another prompt in that challenge. The way I am ripping through these,  I won't have a problem getting 3 anyway!




I started this one today. It's my Booked2020 Cover Crush and for Pop Sugar, it's my Anthology. I love Joe Hill, so this should be an easy read, for the most part!

What are you reading right now?

2 comments:

  1. I read a bunch of the Joanne Fluke books a while back....love em!! I am reading the next book by my chiropractors mom of all people. Her name is Sharon Pape and you should check out her books. They are fun cozies. The series that has the word sketch in all the titles in my fave.

    ReplyDelete