Friday, January 17, 2020

Fiction Friday


No races this weekend, so instead of Flat Mama Friday, we have Fiction Friday two weeks in a row. It's a good thing I never stop reading!

I am going to start with a book that I am working on for a Litsy Challenge called the Chunkster Challenge. You choose a book that is 1000+ pages (or as close as you can get) and you read it a little at a time. I decided that every time I finished a book, I would read it for an hour. This book has some serious history for me. It was published in 1978, after Stephen King's publishers chopped out over 400 pages. I read that version, probably 3 or 4 times before the new version came out in 1989. In this version, King put back most of those pages fort an extended version of the story. I have probably reads this version 20 times, I am not gonna lie. I have had the book below since 1989. I will not show you a pic of the spine. You would cry. I may have to purchase a new copy, although I will never get rid of this one. It even has address labels from all 3 houses that I have lived in since getting married. I am only sorry that the first label covered my original hand printed name and phone number from high school. 
I have barely started it, I am on page 125 or so, out of 1156. I am almost to the point of not wanting to put it down, which will become the true challenge. If you haven't read it, get yourself a copy. It's a classic case of good vs. evil, Stephen King style. I also highly recommend the stupid, campy mini series that was made 1994. The cast is epic. 


And now I can move seamlessly into the first book I read since my last Fiction Friday, written by King's son, Joe Hill. Strange Weather is a book of 4 short stories, with the weather being the only thing that ties them together. Without giving any spoilers, I will say that they were all super intense, just as twisted as his father's stories. I liked the first one the best, and the third one the least. His endings are unique and left me equal parts thrilled and frustrated. 

Challenge Prompts:
BINGO: last year's TBR
Pop Sugar: anthology
Wizarding World: set in the Northeast
Mount TBR: book 2
A to Z: "H"
52 in 52: a  hardcover book
USA: TBD, there are two possibilities, I am just waiting to see which I will use
Booked2020: Cover Crush (Look at it! so cool!)


After reading such a seriously messed up book, I needed a nice palate cleanser, so I moved on to Lemon Meringue Pie Murder, which I zipped through in one day. I kind of thought I guessed the murderer, then I second guessed myself, but I was totally right, for all the wrong reasons. 



Challenge Prompts:
BINGO: about the woman
Wizarding World: troublemaker
Mrs Darcy: book 2 of 3 by the same author
52 in 52: guilty pleasure


After fully cleansing my palate, of course I moved on to a messed up, psychological thriller. I had already seen season 1 of the show and was partway through season 2 when I got this. It is so much better than the show, and I am adding the sequel to my wish list for sure. Even though I knew how this was going to end, more or less, I was still on the edge of my seat. I started it at Panera, read for an hour, but couldn't stop thinking about it....



Naturally, I moved on to Starbucks after I picked up some things at Hobby Lobby. Another hour there and then home to read some more! I love Wednesdays!


Challenge Prompts:
BINGO: about books (he works in a book store and they talk about books constantly, even mentioning Doctor Sleep by Stephen King!)
Pop Sugar: Involving Social Media
Wizarding World: Villain
A to Z: "K"
Mrs Darcy: debut novel
52 in 52: female author


 I am moving on to Chelsea Girls for my Booked2020 #LiveandLearn prompt. This one takes place during a time in US history that I have never really read about, so I am looking forward to it. Once I finish this, I will have one more prompt for Booked2020 and I will be done with the first Season.

What are you reading right now?











No comments:

Post a Comment