Sunday, December 10, 2017

Kiawah Half Marathon Recap

Last week I tweaked my ankle.
Isn't that a great way to start off a race recap?



I don't even know when I did it exactly, but walking around after the GOTR Reindeer Romp I realized that my foot was not ok. I skipped runs all week and did yoga instead.



It still didn't feel quite right, but a huge group of people from my running club were going, the condo was paid for, so I decided to at least go for the weekend and decide about the race once I got there.

Let's be real, here. We all know I was going to run.

So, I drove down with some of my amazing running group buddies and we had a really great drive. We left early enough that there was practically zero traffic getting onto the island.

We checked in super quick, and then walked across to the expo. Benefits of staying at the golf course where the race is held!
The expo was small, so we were in and out in no time.



Our condo was gorgeous! The weather was miserable so I didn't get to see the view, but the living space was incredible!



We had a group pasta dinner that night and all met up in the morning for the race. Most were running the half but we had a handful of marathoners as well.



What a great bunch!



I love my running family!

We all lined up and soon we were off. The course wound all around the island, and the scenery was amazing. Luckily the rain had stopped, but it was very cold and damp!
By mile one I had ditched my sweatshirt but kept the gloves. My foot was low key sore but not too bad.



I was running for 2 minutes and walking for a minute, and as the miles ticked by, those 2 minutes became very painful. My goal was to keep it slow, maintain a 15 minute easy pace, and start walking at mile 10.



I made it to mile 9.
I spent the next 4 miles torturing myself over the severity of my injury and what that might mean for my goals in 2018. I won't know the answer to those questions until I see the doc!



I limped my way to the finish, collected my medal and looked for my people.



Turns out that one of my runners, who completed her first ever half marathon, placed 3rd in her age group!



The amazing man who runs the program I coach for won his age group in the marathon!



We all had some food and went back to the condos to shower and warm up before meeting for dinner.



I did eventually ice the foot, but it still hurts if i walk on it too much, and it's swollen.



Sigh.

Of course, this didn't stop me from taking advantage of the low sign up rate for next year.
I registered for the marathon.
Of course.

I'll keep you posted on the foot. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment