Saturday, January 14, 2017

Staying Active and Eating Well on a Cruise

I am on the road home after a dream vacation: 6 days in Disney followed by 5 days on a Royal Caribbean cruise. I set a goal to eat well and exercise 30 minutes every day. In Disney it wasn't so hard, I ate fairly well, and stayed within my calorie goals most days with ease. All of that walking, with a 5k and semi marathon thrown in, and I think it all evened out.



The hubs joined Morgan and I for the cruise portion. I planned to eat really well all day and have a dessert at dinner.



The hubs had other ideas. He pretty much ate all the food and drank all the drinks. While I didn't join him in all that gluttony, I definitely kept up.
Now, if you want to eat well on a cruise, it is definitely possible. They had plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, grilled chicken, bread, cookies, cakes. Wait. What just happened?
Sigh. Such is life when you have self control issues when it comes to food!
I started each day convinced that I would eat well, but they had donuts and croissants and bacon and hash browns....
Lunch was easier, I always started with a salad and chose better meal options. Dinner menus had healthy options and of course, non healthy options, so I made sure to balance the two.
Could I have made better choices? Oh yeah. It could have been way worse, though, so it wasn't a total loss.



My second goal was 30 minutes of intentional exercise every day. There was a track that circled the pool and gym, and 6 laps was a mile. We walked that a few times and also took a yoga class, played mini golf and also table tennis. On our excursions we walked and went snorkeling.
There may also have been tequila, but I only tasted one kind....



They had tons of other classes at the gym, but we mostly stuck with family entertainment since Morgan isn't around much these days. I got my 30 minutes every day, usually more.



Have you ever stayed active and ate well on a cruise? We booked for next January and I plan to focus more on the fun and less on the food!

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment