Monday, April 4, 2016

Hot Chocolate 15k Philly... the Good the Bad and the Ugly

I waited a few days to wrote this post because I wanted some of my frustration to dissipate first.
Hopefully it worked, but I'm not completely sure!
I flew into Newark on Friday and my dear friend picked me up at the airport and we drove to Philly together. I prepaid for parking through Parking Panda, so we had no problems getting parking at the Convention Center.
Gigi got there at the same time, and we all went to the expo together. Gigi was picking up for the Long Island BGR, and she needed our help!

Hot Chocolate has aways used the most amazing bib pickup system, and even with 30+ packets, we were out quickly.
We rested for awhile and then headed to Rangoon for dinner, as always. It was pouring, and there was some thunder and lightening, but we walked the few blocks with no problem. The lovely owner even offered to dry our jackets for us! So sweet! Dinner was perfect, as always, and we were shocked at how late it was when we got back! Bed time!

We woke up on race morning to a light rain. We hoped it wouldn't get much worse. Lots of runners were huddling in the merchandise tent, but we stayed out and warmed up with BGR.


And then it was time to start. We decided in advance that we would all run our own race, as usual, and if it was pouring when we finished, we would meet back at the hotel. 
Eileen and Gigi managed to stay together the whole time, but I just couldn't keep up. I lost them around the first mile, and didn't see them again until the turn around. They were about 5 minutes ahead of me. 
The water stops didn't have the promised chocolate. I managed to get one snack, but many didn't even get that.
There was no potty until almost mile 7.
The volunteers were amazing.
The scenery is not to be missed, rain or not.
I am my own worst enemy.
Mile 1 was great, the crowds were cheering, I could still see Eileen, Gigi, and Susie. I felt pretty good. 
Mile 2, the rain started getting to me. I had a pity party that last 3 miles. It was my birthday race and it was raining. My pace was terrible. I had to pee. Why do I do this? How will I ever survive NYC? 
You know the drill. 
It was ugly.
After the turnaround, my mindset changed. 
My pace was right where it should have been for NYC. As bad as I felt, there were hundreds behind me who would be in the rain long after I finished. If I had been running since January, it would be easier. Each subsequent race will be easier because I will have trained better.
And look! Potty!
After I peed I was a new woman. My pace picked up for the next mile and a half and only slowed on that last horrible hill before the finish.
I was done. And I had a 2.5 minute PR.
I would have bling. And Chocolate.
Only they ran out of bling. 700 people didn't get medals and I was one of them, so was Susie.
I'm not gonna lie, I was disappointed. These things happen, however, and I patiently waited in the rain to give  my name. Some poor guy was taking names, and a woman came over, snatched his clipboard to grab some paper and help take names. And proceeded to yell at us. I'm guessing someone gave her some grief and she took it out on us. This I am not OK with.
My complaint on the Facebook page was deleted, as were many others. I am not OK with this either.
I will get a medal in the mail, and I did get chocolate. Many didn't get that either.
This will be my last RAM event for sure. 
A very nice stranger let me wear her medal for this picture. Thank you, stranger.
Have you ever had to wait for your bing in the mail?

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like the Love Run in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too didn't receive a medal which was a big disappointment since I was so excited about finishing my first ever 15k..today I got a package from ram racing thinking it be my medal and all it was, was a travel coffee mug, luggage tag and a stylus pen...I hope this isn't what we got instead of a medal..still disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too didn't receive a medal which was a big disappointment since I was so excited about finishing my first ever 15k..today I got a package from ram racing thinking it be my medal and all it was, was a travel coffee mug, luggage tag and a stylus pen...I hope this isn't what we got instead of a medal..still disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was to hold us over while we wait for the medal, the medal is still coming :)

      Delete