Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Not so Wordless Wednesday: Half Bucks County Ten Race Recap

I cannot believe I haven't gotten to this recap yet! I wanted to take the pics off of the good camera, and I just never got around to it!
On Sunday, the hubs and I hopped in the car and drove to Washington Crossing, PA for the Bucks County Ten. I was unbelievably excited about this race, because it had a Star Wars Theme! OMG I was totally fangirling! I couldn't wait to see the costumes!
After about an hour drive, we arrived at the State Park, and I got out of the car to put on my tutu. No one around me was dressed up, but I had faith! Eileen had texted me pics of the swag, and I was super excited about the drawstring bag and bib!
drawstring bag! The boy stole this from me
Eileen and I after we pinned on our yoda bibs, I was Boba Fett lol
 I still really wasn't seeing anyone in costume, though! Yikes! After bib pickup, we walked to the bathrooms, where I did see a few people in costumes. Slave Leia, Luke with a Yoda backpack, Vader. Maybe 10 total out of over 250 runners! A few wore tees, but most were just wearing running clothes. Yikes! I felt a little out of place in my tutu!

 We walked around while we waited for the race to start. The park had a lovely paved loop, which we walked twice, before meeting up with friends for some photo ops!

Half Fanatics


It was time to start lining up in our waves. We were all in the final wave, which was fine with me! The course started and ended on pavement, but 9 of the 10 miles were on a gravel path, so I knew it would be different than what I was used to! They played the anthem, and then they played the Star Wars theme song, and then we were off!

two of the costumed runners
Eileen and I running by, Frank and Lisa are right behind us <3

I went out fast, as always, and finished the first mile in about 11 minutes, I was still feeling tired from the previous weekend, when I did the back to back half marathons, and my shins ached a bit. Another runner, who was doing a run/walk, kept running alongside me, and we decided to stick together for a while. It was nice to have someone to talk to! Eileen was wayyyy in front of me and Lisa and Frank were just behind me. 
The mile markers were very fun! I took pics of the more interesting ones, mile one being my all time favorite!
I agree, Jar Jar does suck!

At around mile 4 (maybe 3?) I saw this sign that said "mule". I remember being so confused, and wondering what it meant. On the way back, the flip side of the sign said "Same Mule". Across the river we ran along was this beautiful life sized mule statue. Apparently, it is the Race Series mascot, which I didn't know. On the way out, you didn't notice it because the path curved away, but on the way back, it was very in-your-face and I felt a little silly!


Just after I took this pic, I started running again and this time I broke away from my race buddy and just ran. I had been holding back to stay with her, but I just wanted to run. My miles were averaging at about 13-14 minutes up to that point, because my buddy's walks were getting longer (she had not run since Thanksgiving, she was kicking butt, considering!) Once I broke away, they were closer to 11:30, with stops to take mile marker photos.


Eileen kicked my butt as always!

Crossing the finish

bling and tee
Eileen had an extra tee, which she gave to me for my son. The teenie took my shirt, so I ended up with no shirt and no bag, just the bling! Oh well, I never wear tech shirts more than once anyway!

Overall, it was a great race. The scenery was amazing, the weather was perfect. They had BBQ at the finish, but I wasn't hungry yet, so we passed on that. The hubs and I went into New Hope afterwards and walked the Main Street and had lunch before heading back home. I will definitely consider more Bucks Marathon Series' races in the future!

Who would you dress as for a Star Wars themed race?

No comments:

Post a Comment