Sunday, March 16, 2014

Emotional Eating, and a Week of Workouts

I struggle with Emotional Eating. I have struggled since my miscarriage over 15 years ago, and am finally taking steps to do something about it! I ordered two books about it, and one has 21 days of steps to take, the first step being to write about how it all began.
What a painful thing to write! I hate to admit I have no control, I am a control freak! It grabs me at the strangest times, and often I will eat until I feel sick. I can't keep certain foods in the house, because I often lack the control to resist them when I am stressed or upset! I am hoping that these books will give me some insight and some tips!
The first thing the book asked me to do was read some signs that you are an emotional eater. If you said 'yes' to five of them, then you are an emotional eater. I said 'yes' to fifteen. Yikes!
I will keep you updated on the progress, but if you are an emotional eater as well, these are the books I am reading:



On the workout front, I have had a much better week than I have in a while!
Monday: A 2.3 mile run in my new shoes. It was excruciating, whether from the new shoes or from a lot of movement two days before, I don't know. I banged it out though, and will try the new shoes again tomorrow!

 Tuesday was a rest day. I did go grocery shopping and walked two miles, to get my steps in for the day!
 Wednesday I ran 3.1 at the local park. It had workout stations so every few laps, I did one of the stations. Lots of ab work, and a pathetic attempt at chin ups. Some dude showed up and was banging out the chin ups and I was trying not to be a hater. I failed. I also attempted speed work. Each lap was a quarter mile, so I tried jogging one, running one. It was so windy that after two rounds, I was whipped, so I just did the remaining laps at whatever was comfortable. Once you subtract the time I spent doing the exercise, I had a nice 11 minute mile average.
 Thursday: I started doing the #Spartan30 and this month it is squats. I started late and did 270 squats my first day. Ouch! I am keeping up much better now, and I am actually ahead thanks to today's FIRM workout! I also did a FIRM workout, actually two back to back, and completed the Thin in 30 workouts. Perfect timing......

 Friday was another rest day. I had to walk in front of the TV at one point to get my steps in!
Saturday I did my long run at the beach. We started in Belmar, ran to Spring Lake, doubled back for a potty break, ran to Asbury and then back to Belmar. My friend did 16, I did 10. My extra weight, combined with a tank top (it was 60* out. One day later, and we have snow in tonight's forecast!) meant some lovely chicken arm chafing. I.must.get.fit. This is ridiculous! I can run a marathon but I cannot lose weight. I am such a wreck!
I love taking pics of my chocolate milk. I have said it before, I know, but for my new readers, I am lactose intolerant. I hate pills, so I won't take lactaid. Instead, I wait for a long run and guzzle guzzle guzzle that chocolate milk. I swear the angels sing while I drink. I worship the girl at last year's RnR USA who told me that your body needs it after a long run, and forgives you for drinking it. No stomach pain. No gas pain. Just sweet chocolatey bliss. For real.
 Today, I did a plank for one of my challenges, my squats during my workout. The workout was FIRM Classics Volume 1. From 1986. They wear leotards, tights, and leg warmers. For real. I have never seen so many nipples in a DVD before. They all wear light colors. It is hysterical. That being said, when my son was born almost 15 years ago, these DVDs helped me lose 60 pounds in less than a year. When Collage Video announced that they were going out of business, I stocked up on all of the Classics, plus a few of the old Tracie Long DVDs, and some pilates DVDs as well. I made rotation calendars for the next few months to keep me going! Once the 21 Day Fix gets here, my life will be complete! The Spartan calendar isn't updated, but I am all caught up, plus some extra. My legs are mad. Really really mad!

I am hoping to get a run in tomorrow in my new shoes. I am counting down the days until I go to NY to invade my friend Gigi from Running on Candy. We are doing the Michelob Ultra 13.1 in Queens. I am super excited to be running with my fellow Digital Running Ambassador. We are gonna look awesome in our matching green outfits!

Did you race this weekend? Was the weather as amazing for you as it was here in NJ?

6 comments:

  1. I cant wait for this weekend either...can we promise each other to just have fun no matter how long it takes us? I think we both need it!!

    Also, I have not read it (yet) but I have heard wonderful things about a book called mind over binge. I need to get it as I have no control, I hate food addiction!! I don't smoke or drink.....but food gets me EVERY TIME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't care how long it takes! Let's reprise the fun we had at RW, and we won't care how long it takes! I wrote the name of that book down, thanks for the suggestion <3

      Delete
  2. My friend kept texting me to go to Jordan Lodge so I laughed when I saw your comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's so funny! I was telling my daughter about it and now she wants to make them for breakfast this weekend! They are so yummy!

      Delete
  3. Yep -- I've always been an emotional eater. I know exactly what you mean by feeling out of control. It's a tough habit to break! Is it wrong that I really do feel as though I've replaced my compulsion to raid the 'fridge when I'm upset, angry, stressed, etc. with a compulsion to run? Totally replaced one addiction with another!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I haven't been able to run this week, because of a fender bender making me a little sore, so I am going double crazy!

      Delete