Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Adding Cross Training to your Running Plan

For the last year and a half, I have mostly been running. I knew that you are supposed to cross train, and I tried to add in yoga, P90X, Jillian, whatever, every once in awhile but it never really stuck. Running can be all consuming! 3-4 days a week in runs leaves less time for laundry, kids, the hubs.

When I made my Achievement Board in January, one of the goals I added was to take 10 classes at a local Gym. Shore Point Fitness is locally owned, and the owner, Jen, is awesome! I took a couple Boot Camp classes with her at our local Rec a few years back, before I started running. I bought a 10 pack just after Christmas, and I finally had a chance on Monday morning to take a class!
On schedule was Tone & Tabata. I always wanted to take a Tabata class, and the time was good (we had a day off, thanks to Abe and George) so off I went. I was happy to see some friendly face there, and Jen was super nice! She showed me everything, and talked about the class. When the crew assembled, Jen noticed that they were her regular Boot Campers, and asked if we would rather do Boot Camp. Everyone agreed so she made some adjustments to the class.
I used a 15# Kettlebell, and it was brutal! I did full form push-ups which made me so proud, although she said I was doing the harder than they needed to be. She showed me an easier way, which felt harder to me, lol. Luckily, she said my form was good, so that was a nice bonus. I got through the first round, but only made it through 25 Squat Thrusts in  Round 2. I ran out of time. Epic Fail! One other person didn't make it through, so at least I was not alone in my Epic Fail. We then did 20 second Hollow Holds, and 20 second Supermans, 4 times each before we stretched.
I stopped to take a pic of the board before I left, especially the quote of the day:

By Monday night, I was feeling pretty achey in my arms. By Tuesday morning, every muscle in my body hurt. Tuesday night (last night) I couldn't even do a decent plank, my abs were so sore.
I can't wait to go back!
How do you cross train?

6 comments:

  1. I so spin class and weight training in addition to my running, great way to get in more workouts without the risk of injury

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to try spin, i have friends who swear by it!

      Delete
  2. My cross training is yoga...i love it! However, like you after all the running it is hard to find time.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cross training is biking or swimming depending on the season and weight training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am more of a splasher than a swimmer! You go girl!

      Delete