Saturday, September 8, 2018

Anatomy of a Long Run.... Coach Edition

Have you ever thought of joining a run club but just weren't sure what to expect? That's how I felt when i was introduced to my run club, the PG Speed Demons out of Run For Your Life in Charlotte. I wasn't quite sure what to expect but I have never regretted taking the leap!



After my first season with the Speed Demons I got RRCA certified and became a coach. I love every minute of it, but it has definitely changed the long run for me.

As a coach, I don't just show up on Saturday morning and lead the long run. Our long run starts on Tuesday when the coached begin talking about the route. Once that is established, a map is made and one of our amazing members makes a list of turn by turn directions.



Time for the coach email. This goes out on Thursday or Friday, and has to encompass every runner's race and mileage for the day. I made a chart so I could keep it all straight.



Everyone emails me back and lets me know how many miles they are in for, and then I figure out how to make it work, while staying as close as possible to the group run. We all look out for each other!

This weekend I had water duty. As coaches, we take turns putting water out on the course for the runners. Water duty begins during the week when we pick up the jugs, cups, and Nuun tablets.

Friday night I fill the jugs up with water. Oh, and by "I" I totally mean the hubs.

Saturday morning I get up at 4:30 instead of 5, and the hubs helps me put ice in the jugs. Then we load them up.





Yes, I strap that bad boy in there. You haven't truly lived until you've spilled a full jug of water in your trunk.

Off to the water stop locations. This week I had 2.





Once the water is set up, I head to the store to meet up with the rest of the running club. We start with a lap around the building and then warmups.



Time to hit the road! Everyone runs the same course starting at 6, which is great on a day like today when the course is out and back. Lots of love from the faster runners as they pass you on their way back!



Sometimes we see....nature....



I saw my first poisonous snake today. I figure I'm good for about 20 years now.

Of course, we always meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays as well. We do track work on Tuesdays and Thursdays vary each week.

I'm so blessed to have such an amazing group to run with!



Have you ever trained for a race with a running club?

No comments:

Post a Comment