Thursday, January 6, 2022

Gnome Run Trail Race





 For the fourth time since moving south, I participated in the Gnome Run Trail Race on New Year’s Day!


Of course, it rained for days leading up to race day, and rain was in the forecast for the race as well. I wore my old kicks, and prepared for a slow slog through the trails of Baxter Village in Fort Mill. 

As you can tell by my Flat Mama, it was warm here on New Year’s Day. Many of the runners were in tanks and shorts. 



When I got to the race, I went straight to the Resolution Board and put down my word for 2022!




Then I hit the bathrooms and looked for Lissa. We have run this race together every year. And by that, I mean that she ran it and saved me a seat for BBQ afterwards. I have walked almost every year. The first two times I had Disney marathon weekend less than a week later, and the second two times I was injured. 



Lissa introduced me to Sarah and her husband Steven, who would also be walking. We stuck together the whole time and had so much fun! Party in the back!

The course was beautiful as always, and not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The one terminally muddy section was the usual nightmare, but the rest was pretty decent!





At the finish line, there is always BBQ from Legal Remedy: pulled pork for a positive move during the year, black eyed peas for health and prosperity, collard greens represent money, and corn bread for gold. 



As you can see, I’m a huge fan of collard greens. Or not. The rest was seriously yummy. 

Then we waited to see who earned the coveted Gnome pint glasses. Most of my friends who ran earned one! Hooray! I stole Lissa’s 2nd place AG glass for a selfie. It’s the closest I got! Also, it never rained. Hooray!





Another great race, which I will continue to attend for as long as I can! 

Did you participate in any races on New Year’s Day?


No comments:

Post a Comment