Saturday, August 20, 2016

NYRR Virtual Trainer

I've just finished week 5 of training for the NYC Marathon! I cannot believe how fast time is flying by. I'm not gonna lie, it hasn't been easy. Training started in July, which is super hot and humid in the south. I am a late morning runner, and I have been getting up at 5 in the morning to make it to my long runs by 6. It's dark at 6 y'all.
I decided to splurge this marathon, and get the training plan that NYC puts out. It's virtual, so although I have gotten a couple emails from a coach, my weekly email comes from a computer, basically.
The difference is, every week it updates to reflect my training. My estimated finish time also changes based on my weekly runs.
Every time I run, I go to the website and I put in my mileage, my finish time, and whether I found the run to be easy, medium, or hard on a scale of 1 to 10. On Sunday night I get an email with the new plan for the week. I printed it out when I first began. The entire 16 weeks. Big mistake! It changes constantly! Some weeks I have 3 runs. Some I have 4. Intervals, fartleks, hill repeats. And the dreaded long run. I never have to worry that my training isn't what it should be.
I'm really enjoying it, even though my required pace is usually anywhere from 13 to 15 minutes per mile. It makes me feel slow, but I do enjoy when I beat that goal. Today's long run, for example. I finished 8 minutes faster than my goal time!
I'm sharing this information for anyone who might be considering it in the future. It is well worth the $50!
I wrote this post on my own, it is not sponsored and I'm getting nothing for it except the knowledge that this might help someone decide somewhere down the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment