Sunday, November 22, 2015

Somerville Girls on the Run 5k

This morning, ten weeks of training my 3rd through 5th graders ended with the Somerville Girls on the Run 5k. They were so excited to run, and I was excited for them.
If you ever plan to run a GOTR 5k, there are some things you need to know before you start.
NONE of these girls know any kind of race etiquette. The will zig zag in front of you, stop short in front of you, start walking with no warning. Moms and dads, too. Picture ops in the middle of the course were the order of the day.
If you go into it with that knowledge in mind, you will not be frustrated, and you will be better able to enjoy the race and notice a few other things.
Happy girls running with their friends, brothers, sisters, moms, and dads.
Happy girls learning about the joy of the race, the spectators, the finish line, and the bling. Tutus, costumes, spray painted hair, glitter, smiles, joy.
No PR, that's pretty much guaranteed unless you line up in the front. But, if you do line up in the front, you miss those smiles.
I gladly gave up the race today, and just enjoyed the joy around me. I finished in just under 38 minutes, and got to watch my last girl finish her race, a smile plastered on her face as she finished.
I will miss these girls. I have had some of them for three seasons now, and will miss coaching them in the years to come. I'm hoping that there are chapters in South Carolina when I get there!
Have you ever run a GOTR race?

1 comment: