Saturday, November 21, 2015

Manasquan Turkey Run

Today was my first of back to back weekend races, the Turkey Run Five Miler.
I woke up this morning with a stomach ache from something I ate last night and I really thought I would have to bail. Luckily, the race starts at 11, so I had time for my stomach to mostly settle.
The hubs picked up my bib and tee for me last night, so I didn't have to worry about that either. I still went pretty early, because parking can be a nightmare.


I ran into friends right away, and we hung out until it was time to walk to the start. It was surprisingly warm, it's usually a much colder race, so I stowed my gloves in a pocket right away. The race isn't chipped, so I started my Nike app when I thought I might be crossing the start.
So, yesterday I might have done about 80 squats for the first time in awhile. And then I might have gone to karaoke night at our club with some friends and danced. A lot.
Was this smart? Absolutely not. My.thighs.hurt.
It took about a mile before they loosened up. Add to that the fact that I'm still not running regularly after my 6 weeks off and what you have is a hot running mess. My legs felt like crap. I was using my app instead of a watch, and my phone was in my pocket so I couldn't see my pace. 
I was surprised at each mile marker to see that my pace was consistently just under a 12 minute mile. Not bad for someone who hasn't been running!
I managed to finish in 59:19 which is way slower than usual, but I'll take it!
Tomorrow is the Girls on the Run 5k, which will be easier I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment