Saturday, July 4, 2015

Firecracker Five Recap

I started the day with my fourth Firecracker Five, a local five mile race. It's a very hilly race. I probably shouldn't have registered, with all of my aches and pains, but I couldn't resist!
We got there pretty early, so I had plenty of time to stretch my calves and my IT band, hoping to avoid any pain. I got my shirt and bib and then went in search of my friends.


The race starts in front of the Wall Municipal Complex, winds through hilly back roads, and ends back at the Complex. The spectators, volunteers, and support staff are always incredible. The fire department always brings a truck or two to spray water in a couple spots and families come out and give extra water and spray hoses as well. It's notoriously hot e every year, although this year was pretty breezy and not too hot. I still took water at every stop, though. 
And a selfie with Dave the Trumpeter, sans beard.

I was worried about my various injuries, and glad when only one troubled me. My Plantar Fasciitis gave me no trouble. At all. Not even a twinge. Score.
IT Band was a little tight but it didn't really slow me down. The stretching and rolling before the race seemed to really help. 
Capsulitis, though? Omg I wanted to.cry a few times. My toe just wouldn't uncramp, and my foot hurt for hours afterwards.
I finished at a decent pace, however, and two of my friends won their age group! Plus, women get a long stemmed rose at the finish!

I hope you all have a safe and happy Fourth of July!

1 comment: